Sedan in mid-September 2007
|Canton||Sedan-1, 2 and 3|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Didier Herbillon|
|16.28 km2 (6.29 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,000/km2 (2,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||149–301 m (489–988 ft) |
(avg. 157 m or 515 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Sedan (French pronunciation: [sədɑ̃]) is a commune in the Ardennes department and Grand Est region of north-eastern France. It is also the chef-lieu (administrative centre) of the arrondissement of the same name.
Until 1651, the Principality of Sedan belonged to the La Tour d'Auvergne family. It was at that time a sovereign principality. Their representative, Marshal Turenne, was born at Sedan on 11 September 1611. With help from the Holy Roman Empire, it defeated France at the Battle of La Marfée. Immediately after its victory, Sedan was besieged and its prince, Frédéric Maurice de La Tour d'Auvergne, duc de Bouillon, submitted to France. It was annexed to France in return for sparing the prince’s life after he became involved in a conspiracy against France.
Sedan was the birthplace of Jacques MacDonald, a general who served in the Napoleonic Wars.
During the Franco-Prussian War, on 2 September 1870, French emperor Napoleon III was taken prisoner with 100,000 of his soldiers at the First Battle of Sedan. Due to this victory, which made the unification of Germany possible, 2 September was declared Sedan Day (Sedantag) and a national German holiday in 1871. It remained a holiday until 1919.
From May 12-15, 1940, during World War II, German troops invaded neutral Belgium and crossed the Meuse River by winning the Second Battle of Sedan . The battle allowed them to win the Battle of France by bypassing the Maginot Line, which was the French fortification system, and entrapping the Allied Forces that were advancing east into Belgium, as part of the Allied Dyle Plan strategy.
Today Sedan is known for its castle, that is claimed to be the largest fortified medieval castle in Europe with a total area of 30,000 square metres (7.4 acres) on seven levels. Construction started in 1424 and the castle's defences were constantly improved over the ages. It is the only remaining part of the once enormous fortifications in and around the town.
A centre of cloth production, begun under the patronage of Cardinal Mazarin, supported the town until the late nineteenth century.
CS Sedan Ardennes is based in the town.
The following notable people lived there: