|Grand Rapids Police Department|
|Motto||"Professional, Progressive, and Responsive"|
|Operations jurisdiction||Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States|
|Map of the Grand Rapids Police Department's jurisdiction.|
|Headquarters||1 Monroe Center NW|
Grand Rapids MI
To date, the GRPD headquarters has been in four different buildings; none of the previous sites remain standing today. The first police headquarters consisted of a two-room office suite located over a grocer at 101 Monroe Avenue in downtown Grand Rapids. In 1882, the department moved to the intersection of Lyon and Campau. In 1892, a new headquarters was built at the intersection of Crescent and Ottawa designed by notable Detroit-based architect Elijah E. Meyers. This location was expanded in 1915 and occupied for over 70 years before being demolished. In 1967, the department moved to the newly built Hall of Justice, located on the site of the present-day DeVos Place convention center on Monroe Avenue. In 2001, the department moved into the current headquarters, a renovated Herpolsheimer's department store located at 1 Monroe Center NW.
A total of fifteen GRPD officers have been killed since the department's first recorded death in 1895. Fourteen of those officers died on-duty, while one was killed off-duty attempting to rescue an electrocution victim. Of those killed on-duty, eight were killed by gunfire and six were killed in traffic accidents.