A view within Bram
|Canton||La Piège au Razès|
|Intercommunality||Piège et Lauragais|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||André Viola|
|17.72 km2 (6.84 sq mi)|
|• Density||180/km2 (470/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||119–165 m (390–541 ft) |
(avg. 134 m or 440 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The CD33 road to the village follows the Roman road, the Romans settling in the area because of a climate which balanced the warmth of the Mediterranean with the freshness of the Atlantic. In 60BCE, they began construction of Bram and called it Eburomagus. Roman remains suggest the town was less round than the current town. Eburomagus disappeared.
The modern town was born in the 12th century, built around its fortress church. The only way into the village was by a gate to the east.
Bram was a centre of Cathar belief. Their difference from Rome brought the intervention of Simon de Montfort who, following a Spanish monk who became St Dominic, besieged the town in 1210. He succeeded in three days and took revenge on resistants by cutting off the top lip of all his prisoners and gouging out the eyes of all but one. For the last he gouged out only one eye so that he could lead the others out of the town to the château of Lastours .
By the 17th century Bram had outgrown its walls and expanded in concentric circles.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bram, Aude.|
|This Aude geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|