This article is about a current disease pandemic where information can change quickly or be unreliable. The latest page updates may not reflect the most up-to-date information. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2020 coronavirus pandemic in Qatar|
|First outbreak||Wuhan, Hubei, China|
|Arrival date||27 February 2020|
(1 month and 6 days)
The first case of the COVID-19 disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus in Qatar was confirmed on 27 February 2020, with cases mostly coming from Iran. As of 31 March, Qatar is the 2nd country in the Arab World by number of confirmed cases, at 781. The total recoveries stand at 62, with 2 deaths.
On March 9, 2020, Qatar announced a closure of all schools and universities until further notice and placed a travel ban on 15 countries: Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Lebanon, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria and Thailand.
On March 11, 2020, the Qatari Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) announced the confirmation of 238 new cases of the disease in a single day, bringing the country's total to 262.
On March 13, 2020, the Ministry of Public Health announced the confirmation of 58 new cases of the disease, bringing the total to 320. The same day, the CEO of Qatar Airways, Akbar Al Baker, stirred controversy by claiming that there was no scientific evidence proving that coronavirus can be transmitted during the incubation period.
On March 14, 2020, the Ministry of Public Health MOPH of Qatar, 17 new cases were confirmed by the Ministry of Public Health. Qatar expanded its travel ban to include three new countries: Germany, Spain and France. On March 16, 2020, the Ministry of Public Health announced the recovery of four people from the disease at a press conference. Eight new coronavirus cases are reported, bringing the total to 460 on 19 March. Two of the new cases are Qataris who had been to Europe, while the others are migrant workers. Most of the reported cases are linked to migrant workers, although the government has not reported nationalities. Preparations for the 2022 FIFA World Cup continue on schedule.
Ten new coronavirus cases were reported the next day on 20 March, bringing the total to 470. There were 11 new coronavirus cases reported on 21 March taking the total to 481. The Ministry of Municipal and Environment closed all parks and public beaches in order to curb the spread of coronavirus (Covid19)
Ministry of Public Health announced 13 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 as well as six further cases of people who have recovered from the virus, bringing the total cases of recovery to 33 cases on 22 March.
On March 23, Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) seeking volunteers to support Qatar's response to the Covid-19 outbreak. A spokesperson for the Supreme Committee for Crisis Management, HE Lolwah Rashid AlKhater, said: “We are looking for volunteers to help Qatar’s healthcare sector as the number of Covid-19 cases increases and creates a strain on resources. We need to stand together as a community and work to support Qatar’s public and private sectors during these trying times.”  The same day, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry in a circular said it was decided to temporarily close all restaurants, cafes, food outlets, and food trucks in the following locations from March 23 until further notice: Sports clubs, Lusail Marina, food trucks area, Doha Corniche, Al Khor Corniche and Aspire Park.
The Ministry of Public Health announced today 7 new confirmed cases with four more people now recovered on the day. The new cases of infection are related to travellers who recently came to the State of Qatar and to expatriate workers, including two cases of Qatari citizens.
On March 24, Qatar's Health Ministry announced that 25 new coronavirus cases have been reported in the country.
On March 25, The Ministry of Public Health today announced the registration of 11 new confirmed cases of coronavirus 2019 (Covid-19) in the State of Qatar. Some of the new cases of infection are related to the travelers who came recently to the State of Qatar and others belong to people in contact with infected cases, including 5 cases of Qatari citizens. The newly infected cases are in isolation, and they are receiving medical care. The Ministry of Public Health continues to conduct checks for all citizens travelling from abroad, as well as all contacts of infected cases. The total number of people tested for COVID-19 by the Ministry of Public Health has now reached more than 12,000. The Ministry of Public Health urges all agencies and individuals to follow preventive measures and adhere to the requirements of home isolation to ensure their safety and that of their community, and not to go out unless absolutely necessary. 
On March 26, Spokesperson of the Supreme Committee for Crisis Management H E Lolwah bint Rashid bin Mohammed Al Khater announced 12 new cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Qatar. Total recovery cases are now at 43, with two new cases. The Spokesperson stated the new cases are in complete isolation. The total number of COVID-19 tests done in Qatar now stands at 13681. 
On March 27, The Ministry of Public Health reported the registration of 13 new confirmed cases of coronavirus 2019 (Covid-19) in the State of Qatar. The total number stands at 562. Some new cases are related to travellers who came to the State of Qatar and others to contacts. The new cases have been put into quarantine and are receiving the necessary medical care. 
On March 28, Qatar reported its first death case from the novel coronavirus, in addition to 28 new infections, bringing the total of confirmed cases to 590, according to the Ministry of Public Health and two more recoveries, taking the tally to 45 cured patients. The ministry revealed that it has tested more than 16,582 people for Covid-19. 
On March 29, The Ministry of Public Health along with other new articles have stated that 44 more cases were confirmed for coronavirus (Covid-19) in the State of Qatar. Which brings the total number of cases to 634.
Qatar “labour camps” are being locked down by authorities and workers with coronavirus concentrated inside them are in conditions that deny them basic human rights. According to a report at the Guardian, hundreds of construction workers now have the virus amid the global pandemic and Qatar's policies of concentrating the people together in “squalid, over-crowded camps” enables the virus to “spread rapidly.”
The workers are some of the thousands slaving away on the 2022 FIFA World Cup infrastructure projects. “Inside the quarantined camps, workers describe an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty,” the report notes. Workers are being put on unpaid leave and it is getting worse by the day. Labour camps where the coronavirus sufferers are concentrated are given numbers within Qatar's expansive gulag of workers camps. “Workers from camp 1 to camp 32 are in lockdown,” one man from Bangladesh said to the Guardian.
Police guard the perimeter of a large one within the so-called "Industrial Area", where thousands of workers are confined, prohibiting anyone to enter or leave. The workers in question had been working on infrastructure for the 2022 FIFA World Cup. Doha's Industrial Area as a whole is a large collection of warehouses, workers' quarters, and factories, located about a half an hour's drive from the capital. The hundreds of thousands of workers present live in rooms of eight to ten people.
Qatar state television named and shamed 14 nationals who violated restrictions set to curb the spread of the coronavirus, adding that nine of the persons had been arrested by authorities. The 14 individuals were said to have violated a home quarantine pledge they undertook after returning from abroad, a presenter on Qatar state TV said. Home isolation was an option given to nationals who returned to Qatar after the nation reported a spike in coronavirus cases.