This article is about a current disease pandemic where information can change quickly or be unreliable. The latest page updates may not reflect the most up-to-date information. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2020 coronavirus pandemic in Kenya|
Map of counties with confirmed COVID-19 cases in Kenya as of 3 April 2020[update].
|First outbreak||Asia, Wuhan, China|
|Arrival date||13 March 2020|
On 13 March, the first case in Kenya, a 27-year-old Kenyan woman who traveled from the US via London, was confirmed. The Kenyan government identified and isolated a number of people who had come into contact with the first case.
On 15 March, Cabinet Secretary for Health, Mutahi Kagwe, announced that two people who had sat next to the initial patient on the aircraft in transit from the United States had also tested positive for the virus. Schools were closed and public gatherings were prohibited. Also as a result, the country's borders were closed to all except Kenyan citizens and legal residents.
On 16 March, the government through its spokesman Col Cyrus Oguna said on an update that there were another three people who were suspected to be carriers of the virus and that their results were to be released soon.
On 17 March, it was announced by the Health Secretary that a fourth case had been diagnosed. On 18 March, three more cases confirmed were by the Health Secretary, bringing the total confirmed cases in Kenya to seven.
On 22 March, eight more cases were confirmed by the Health Secretary, bringing the total cases confirmed to 15. The government confirmed it was tracing 363 people who are believed to have had contact with the eight new cases.
On 23 March, another case was confirmed bringing the total confirmed cases to 16.
On 24 March, nine more cases reported for a total of 25 nationally.
On 26 March, three more cases were recorded and bringing the total confirmed cases to 31. In addition to Nairobi, the government confirmed that corona virus cases in Kenya are spread among four other counties, namely Kajiado, Mombasa, Kilifi, and Kwale. On the same date, the first death of a person infected with the corona virus was reported in Kenya. The patient was a 66-year-old Kenyan man who had recently returned from a business trip in Eswatini and had transited via O. R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, South Africa. It is unknown where exactly he contracted the virus.
On March 28, the ministry of health confirmed 7 more cases, bringing a total tally of confirmed covid-19 cases in Kenya to 38. On the same day, the government announced that 2 patients who had earlier tested positive had tested negative and were awaiting for a second test to confirm they had fully recovered.
On 29 March, four more cases were recorded bringing the total confirmed cases to 42.During a briefing on Sunday, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said of the four, one is a Kenyan, one American, one Cameroonian and one a Burkinabé.Mr Kagwe said three of the cases were based in Nairobi and one in Mombasa. The CS said of the 42 cases, 24 are male while 18 are females. Nairobi leads with 31 cases followed by Kilifi (six), Mombasa (Three) and Kwale and Kajiado on each.
On 30 March, Kenya's coronavirus cases have risen by 8, with the total now standing at 50 that have been confirmed, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said on Monday. Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said of the eight,six of the cases were based in Nairobi, one in Kitui and one in Mombasa.
On 31 March, Kenya's coronavirus cases rose by 9, bringing the total to 59 confirmed cases to date.
On April 1, Kenya's coronavirus cases rose by 22, bringing the total to 81 confirmed cases to date. Additionally, the Kenyan government confirmed that the first and third reported cases had both full recovered from the virus, bringing the total number of recoveries nationally to three. 
On April 2, an additional 29 cases were confirmed bringing the total number of cases to 110 nationally. The government reported one more recovered patient increasing the total recoveries to four. Additionally, two more deaths were confirmed, one from Nairobi and the one in Mombasa, bringing the total number of deaths due to coronavirus to three.
In response to the rise of corona virus cases in Kenya to three, on 15 March the government of Kenya closed all schools and directed that all public and private sector workers work from home, wherever possible. Travel restrictions were later imposed to prevent non-residents from entry. Kenyan nationals and residents were required to self-quarantine for a minimum of fourteen days.
On 22 March, following the confirmation of an additional eight cases, bringing the total to 16 nationally, the Kenyan government introduced additional measures and directives to reduce the spread of coronavirus in the country. These measures include a suspension of all international flights effective at midnight on 25 March, with the exception of cargo flights (all persons entering the country will be compelled to undergo quarantine at a government facility). The government further stipulated that any persons, including senior government officials, found to be in violation of quarantine measures would be forcefully quarantine at their own expense. All bars are to be closed until further notice as of 22 March, with restaurants allowed to remain open for takeaway services only. All public service vehicles (i.e., matatus and buses) must adhere to passenger distancing guidelines previously stipulated on 20 March. Further, all churches, mosques, and other gatherings (e.g., funerals), are restricted to no more than 15 persons, and weddings are banned. Public gatherings of more than 15 people outdoors are also barred.
On 25 March, President Uhuru Kenyatta, following the reporting of an additional three cases, announced a nation-wide curfew on unauthorized movement from 7 PM to 5 AM beginning on Friday, 27 March. The government also unveiled measures to buffer Kenyans against financial hardships arising movement restrictions associated with the coronavirus crisis, including:
The government also moved to increase allocation of funds for health care, along with other fiscal adjustments to the economy:
The nationwide curfew on unauthorized movement between 7 PM and 5 AM EAT, which went into effect on 27 March in an effort to enact government-mandated social distancing measures, was accompanied by reports of police brutality in enforcing the curfew. Multiple first-hand accounts and video footage in several cities, including Nairobi and Mombasa, indicated that police used beatings and tear gas on citizens to enforce the curfew as it went into effect on 27 March. Further, some accounts indicate that the attacks were indiscriminate and that detention tactics resulted in crowding of people into small areas, contrary to the curfew's goal of increasing social distancing. Multiple Kenyan officials and government outlets subsequently condemned police actions in enforcing the curfew.
Subsequently, a petition was filed by Law Society of Kenya claiming that the curfew itself was unconstitutional, "because it is blanket and indefinite, and because it is ultra vires (contravenes) the Public Order Act" and that the curfew posed a threat to the health of the general population. The petition further asserted that, "police recklessly horded large crowds on the ground, contrary to WHO advice on social distancing. Moreover, the first respondent (police) stopped the media from monitoring their movement and assaulted journalists covering the process". . On March 30, the High Court of Kenya upheld the curfew itself, but barred police from using excessive force to enforce the curfew and demanded the police provide guidelines for observing the curfew  On 31 March, a young 13 year old boy in Kiamiko slums, Nairobi was shot by police officers 20 minutes during the curfew 
The travel restrictions reduced Kenya's vital hotel, tourism and flower industries. In contrast to citizens in industrialized countries, some Kenyans have the ability to switch from their city jobs to rural labor for food.