This article is about a current pandemic where information can change quickly or be unreliable. The latest page updates may not reflect the most up-to-date information. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2020 coronavirus pandemic in Ecuador|
|Arrival date||14 February 2020|
(1 month, 2 weeks and 6 days)
Confirmed 29 February 2020
(1 month and 5 days)
|‡Suspected cases have not been confirmed as being due to this strain by laboratory tests, although some other strains may have been ruled out.|
|Provinces||Confirmed Cases||Confirmed Deaths|
|Santo Domingo de los Tsáchilas||24||0|
The following section includes all the daily reports published by national media, communicating the updates of the new confirmed cases from the Ministry of Health or the INSPI (Instituto Nacional de Investigación en Salud Pública, in English National Public Health Research Institute).
On 29 February, the Minister of Public Health in Ecuador, Catalina Andramuño, confirmed the first case of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in the country. The patient was a woman in her 70s and an Ecuadorian citizen who resided in Spain. She arrived to Guayaquil on 14 February. According to Andramuño, she had no symptoms when she arrived in the country. Following her arrival, she began experiencing symptoms including a fever and mild muscle pain. She was taken to a healthcare facility in serious condition and with reserved prognosis. Further details about the woman and the hospital where she is located were not disclosed due to security measures. Also, 80 people who had continuous contact with the infected woman are currently under observation.
On 1 March, Andramuño announced that 5 new cases of coronavirus have been registered in Ecuador.On 4 March 3 new cases were announced by the Ministry of Health. The last report, according to the INSPI (Instituto Nacional de Investigación en Salud Pública, in English National Public Health Research Institute), confirms a total of 14 positive cases.
On 8 March, the Ministry of Health in Ecuador announced through all the social media a new case of coronavirus in the country. According to the statement, the patient became infected having contact with the first case registered in the region. Adding up 15 cases in the country to the moment.
On 10 March, the Ministry of Health in Ecuador announced 2 new cases of coronavirus in the country. This cases are in the provinces of Guayas and Los Ríos. One of the cases is related with the first case in the country, and the other case is related with the first case in Paraguay.
As of 13 March 23 cases have been confirmed by the Government. There are cases reported in Pichincha (5), Guayas (8), and Los Rios(10). The Government suspended class attendance for students of all levels. Additionally, the first death (the first Ecuadorian infection case) is reported by the Minister of Public Health, Catalina Andramuño, during a press conference in Guayaquil.
On 14 March, Ecuador's government on Saturday announced the closure of its borders from Sunday to all foreign travelers due to the spread of the coronavirus, after local authorities confirmed a second death from the infection. Vice President Otto Sonnenholzner, in a televised statement, said all aerial, land and maritime transport into the Andean country will be prohibited. Ecuadorian citizens and foreigners with Ecuadorean residency will have until the end of Monday to return, he said. Ecuador so far has confirmed 28 cases of coronavirus, including two deaths, and authorities have banned all public activities.
On 15 March 37 cases have been confirmed by the Government. Guayas has 19 cases, Los Rios 10 cases, Pichincha 6 cases, Sucumbios 1 case and Azuay 1 case. Citizens of Ecuador, El Salvador, Perú, and Chile are stuck at Benito Juárez International Airport in Mexico City on 16 March because of the virus. 58 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Ecuador, including a new case in Manta, Manabi. Guayas Province has 38 infected, Los Ríos Province 10 infected, Pichincha Province 7 infected, Sucumbíos Province 1 case, Azuay Province 1 infected, and Manabi 1 case.
At the morning of 17 March, the Ecuadorian government confirms a total of 111 positive cases.
On 19 March, government confirms 260 positive cases, 481 suspected cases, 4 deaths and 3 recovered.
At the morning of 20 March, the Ecuadorian government confirms a total of 367 positive cases, 582 suspected cases, 5 deaths and 4 recovered.
On 21 March, government confirms 532 positive cases, 870 suspected cases, 7 deaths and 3 recovered.
On 23 March, the Ecuadorian government reports 981 confirmed cases and 18 deaths.
On 24 March, the Ecuadorian police moved to dismantle open markets to limit large groups of people coming together.
At the afternoon of 30 March, the Minister of Public Health in Ecuador, Juan Zeballos announced that there are 54 recovered people.
As of 1 April, the health system in Guayas Province is overwhelmed as 52 of Ecuador's 79 COVID-19 deaths have occurred there. Corpses are abandoned on the street as local funeral homes are incapable of handling so much work, which is complicated by the 2:00 p.m. curfew.