1903 FA Cup Final
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 1903 FA Cup Final was contested by Bury and Derby County at Crystal Palace. Bury won 6–0. It is the only FA Cup where the winners (Bury FC) did not concede a single goal throughout their cup run.
Route to the final
- Round 1 – Wolverhampton Wanderers ( H ) 1–0
- Round 2 – Sheffield United ( A ) 1–0
- Round 3 – Notts County ( H ) 1–0
- Semi-final – Aston Villa ( N ) 3–0
- Round 1 – Birmingham ( H ) 2–1
- Round 2 – Blackburn Rovers ( H ) 2–0
- Round 3 – Stoke ( H ) 3–0
- Semi-final – Millwall ( N ) 3–0
- 90 minutes.
- 30 minutes of extra-time if necessary.
- Replay if scores still level.
- No substitutes
Derby came into the final without the injured Steve Bloomer, but even so they had the stronger side on paper. However, the match turned out to be one of the most one-sided ever played, and Bury's 6–0 victory remains a record for the biggest margin in an FA Cup Final, later equalled by Manchester City in the 2019 Final. Bury also equalled another record, winning the Cup without conceding a goal in any round.
Derby's play was so poor that Bury were never fully extended. Monteith, the Bury goalkeeper, had little to do whilst defenders McEwen and Ross contributed much to Bury's crushing victory. Richards led the attack although he didn't score; Leeming scored twice with Bury's other goals coming from Ross, Sagar, Wood and Plant.